Celery is a vegetable grown since ancient times and used in cuisines around the world. Hailing from the Apiaceae family, this vegetable can be seen in diverse cuisines ranging from Asia to North America to Australia.
The plant is used in a diverse range of foods including soups, salads, and casseroles. It is also eaten raw as a filling, nutritious snack.
While people understand that celery is nutritious, many people don’t know exactly why it is so good for you. It is rich with vitamins such as A, E, C, D and B. It has proven health benefits such as being an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-hypertensive. It can help improve blood pressure while lowering cholesterol. It may even help prevent heart attacks.
Here are 9 more reasons why celery should be part of your regular diet.
- It relieves inflammation. For people who have painful joints or other problems with inflammation, eating celery can help. It also contains important components such as polyphenols. These also help with inflammation problems. For those who have asthma, it can help reduce lung inflammation.
- It can lower LDL cholesterol. LDL is the bad type of cholesterol that your doctor keeps harping on you about. Celery contains phthalides that can help lower your entire cholesterol count. Research shows eating a couple of stalks every day can lower your LDL by seven percent or more. It also stimulates the secretion of bile juice in your digestive tract. Bile helps to naturally lower your cholesterol which helps prevent clots from developing in your arteries. This promotes heart health.
- It helps regulate your digestive tract. Celery has a high level of insoluble fiber and water. Both of these helps make your digestion work more efficiently. It can help regulate your stool production and output. If you need a diuretic, doctors say celery is what you need.
- It can lower your blood pressure. The phthalide in the celery is an active compound which enhances blood circulation by 14 percent or more. This helps lower blood pressure by causing your blood vessels to expand. Celery contains another compound known as potassium which dilates the blood vessels, also reducing pressure.
- It can lower stress hormones. Phthalides naturally lower the amounts of stress hormones in your body. There are also 11 milligrams of magnesium in every 100 milligrams of celery. Magnesium is a proven nutrient that helps lower the level of stress hormones. The combination of phthalides and magnesium make celery a great stress reliever.
- It helps you lose weight. Did you know that a single serving of celery only contains 10 calories? Most of its structure is made up of water. The rest is insoluble fiber which helps fill you up faster. Eating celery before a meal will make you feel full sooner, thus helping you eat less.
- It helps balance the pH in your body. Celery helps tip your body’s pH towards the alkaline side instead of the acidic one. If your body is naturally more acidic or you eat a lot of acidic foods, celery can help balance things out.
- It can help with sexual arousal. Celery contains two pheromones that assist with the body’s arousal levels: androstenone and androstenol. When you eat celery, you will see a natural boost in sexual arousal as a result.
- It can help you fight cancer. Celery contains a number of components that can assist with fighting off cancer including phthalides, flavonoids, and polyacetylenes. Research has shown celery can help prevent cancer tissues from forming in the breast, pancreas, and lower intestine areas, due to a flavonid called luteolin. Celery also brings a healthy dose of antioxidants which help neutralize damaged cells before they turn cancerous.
As you can see, celery is so much more than just a vegetable to put on your salad. It can help improve many aspects of your health and even help keep cancer away.
What do you think? Are you going to be adding celery to your daily diet? Let us know in the comments and show this article to your friends and family so they can see the benefits of celery, too!