40 Fascinating And Jaw Dropping Facts about World War II
The World War II was a global battle fought for 6 years from 1939 to 1945. All the major countries of the world were involved, though finally, the countries formed two major groups calling themselves the Allies and the Axis. These “WW2 Facts” prove that it was the deadliest battle ever fought in the history of mankind.
1. The WWII began when Poland was invaded by Hitler on September 1, 1939.
2. Approximately 1.5 million children lost their lives in the Holocaust of which 1.2 million were Jewish and the rest Gypsies.
3. German suffered the highest number of casualties, exceeding 21 million.
4. The Battle of Atlantic was the longest that lasted through the period of the WW2 from 1939 – 1945.
5. Though 600,000 Jews were part of the US Armed forces during WW2, only 2 survived to be awarded the “Medal of Honor”.
6. The deadliest battle in the US was the “Battle of the Bulge” which accounted for more than 80,000 casualties.
7. The Nazis used “concentration camps” to hold millions of Jewish people where they would work and starve until they where “exterminated” in gas showers using a pesticide called Zyklon-B
8. The Nazis killed approximately 12 million people, of which 6 million were Jews.
9. Hitler designed the Nazi flag. Red stood for the social idea of Nazism, white for nationalism, and the black swastika for the struggle of the Aryan man.
10. One of the two major powers fighting the WW2 was the “Allies”, made up of countries like Britain, France Russia, China, and the USA. The other power was the “Axis” group made up of Germany, Italy, and Japan.