We all know that there are many benefits to regular exercise, but what if you could achieve them without leaving the bed or while waiting for dinner to cook? You can get fit and burn some extra calories without any extra equipment from your very own living room floor, free from the hustle and bustle of a gym.
We found some exercises that even the most gym-hating people can enjoy from home.
1. Piriformis stretch
By doing this exercise, you will be stretching and strengthening your piriformis muscle, which is responsible for helping hip rotation. This is an important muscle for the sciatic nerve, which can be agitated if the piriformis is too tight.
1. Sit with your legs stretched out in front of you.
2. Cross your right leg over the left and put your right foot flat on the floor.
3. Next, put your right hand on the floor behind your body and your left hand (or your elbow for a bigger stretch) on your right knee.
4. Press your right leg to the left and gently twist your torso to the right.
5. Hold the position for 30 seconds and repeat on the other side.
2. 90/90 stretch
This exercise can improve your hip mobility in the long run, something that can be neglected in our daily life if we spend all day seated.
1. Sit with your right knee positioned at 90 degrees in front of you, making sure that your calf is straight and the bottom of your foot is facing left. Your right foot should remain flexed.
2. Put your left knee to the left side of your body and bend your knee with your foot facing the wall behind you. Your left foot should remain flexed.
3. Keep your right butt cheek on the floor and move the left cheek as far down to the floor as you can.
4. Hold the position anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes depending on your comfort level. Repeat it on the other side.